Thursday, June 4, 2009

Smoking and Kant

I very much enjoyed our discussion of Thank You for Smoking. I was impressed with the job that you all did in applying the new ideas you are learning to a judgment of the moral worth of Nick Naylor’s way of life and actions, and I was pleased with how much thought went into the reading questions. I continue to be fascinated with Naylor, and while I lean toward the belief that he falls dangerously short of being a Millian genius, I don’t believe that I can claim that with certainty at this point.

 

I must also admit that I’m nervous about teaching Kant tomorrow. Kant is very difficult to read and so very difficult to teach. However, his ideas are of crucial importance, and ergo he must be dealt with. Hopefully we’ll make good headway!

No comments:

Post a Comment